Wednesday, August 27, 2003
::: Truth About George Bush Discovered in Knoxville, Tn :::
Yep, right down the road from my own Morristown, a man wiser
than most has unearthed THE TRUTH
The French were right.
The liberals were right.
The peaceniks were right.
True conservatives were right.
Veterans opposed to the war - I hear from more of them than you might imagine - were also right. They said this war was based on lies, and it was. They said this war, like most wars, would lead to more chaos and killing, and it has.
Every public argument for making war on Iraq has broken down. Let's start with the biggest:
* Weapons of mass destruction: None has been found.
* Speaking of nukes, Bush's allegations were based almost solely on documents he apparently knew were forged. What could be more damning?
* The link to al-Qaida: The myth that Iraq had significant ties to al-Qaida was based on a hospital visit to Iraq by one man and another meeting in a third country that likely never took place. No evidence has surfaced for an Iraqi-al-Qaida link
* Iraq would welcome us as liberators: It happenedonly in a few places, and some of those appeared stage-managed. Now Iraqis are criticizing and demonstrating and shooting Americans
* We'd be out in 60 days, leaving behind a democracy that would take root, then blossom across the Middle East: Well, if majority rule flowers in Iraq, Shiites will run the place, as they do in Iran. That's who the majority is.
* Saddam Hussein is an evil man who must be destroyed. As this is written, he's still at large.
* Now, as I say, the car-bombing of U.N. headquarters in Iraq is being used as proof we're in the right. Two points: One, like several thousand others, those U.N. workers would be alive today except for the will to empire by Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld, Condoleezza Rice, Paul Wolfowitz, Richard Perle and a few others who are pulling the strings.
Two. If, in Country X, the power is out, the water's out, the oil pipeline is burning, unemployment tops 60 percent, murder and rape are daily occurrences, the treasury is looted, the museums are looted, official history is a tool for propaganda, and U.N. headquarters are bombed, then the ruler of Country X should be held accountable, right?
Well, Iraq is Country X. Bush is its ruler.
Thanks Don Williams of the Knoxville-News Sentinel, you do us proud.